viernes, 2 de noviembre de 2007

An improvised and short comparative commentary

There are three songs that just came up to my mind… The first two express clearly what is going on in our world nowadays. And the other one is a kind of hope, of the world we really want to live in.

Black Eyed Peas
WHERE IS THE LOVE

What's wrong with the world, mama

people livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think the whole world addicted to the drama
only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma
overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
but we still got terrorists here livin'
in the USA, the big CIA
the Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
but if you only have love for your own race
then you only leave space to discriminate
and to discriminate only generates hate
and when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
badness is what you demonstrate
and that's exactly how a n**** works and operates
N**, you gotta have love just to set it straight
take control of your mind and meditate
let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all.

People killin', people dyin'
children hurt and you hear them cryin'
can you practice what you preach
and would you turn the other cheek.
Father, Father, Father help us
send us some guidance from above'
cause people got me, got me questionin'
where is the love (Love).
Where is the love (The love)
where is the love (The love)
where is the love, the love, the love.

It just ain't the same, always unchanged
new days are strange, is the world insane
if love and peace is so strong
why are there pieces of love that don't belong
nations droppin' bombs
chemical gasses fillin' lungs of little ones
with the ongoin' sufferin' as the youth die young
so ask yourself is the lovin' really gone
so I could ask myself really what is goin' wrong
in this world that we livin' in people keep on givin' in
makin' wrong decisions, only visions of them dividends
not respectin' each other, deny thy brother
a war is goin' on but the reason's undercover
the truth is kept secret, it's swept under the rug
if you never know truth then you never know love
where's the love, y'all, come on (I don't know)
where's the truth, y'all, come on (I don't know)
where's the love, y'all.

Chorus

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
as I'm gettin' older, y'all, people gets colder
most of us only care about money makin'
selfishness got us followin' our own direction
wrong information always shown by the media
negative images is the main criteria
infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
kids act like what they see in the cinema
yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity
whatever happened to the fairness in equality
instead in spreading love we spreading animosity
lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
that's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' under
that's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' down
there's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin' under
gotta keep my faith alive to lovers bound.

Chorus

Simple Plan
CRAZY


Tell me what's wrong with society

When everywhere I look, I see
Young girls dying to be on TV
They won't stop till they've reached their dreams

Diet pills, surgery
Photoshopped pictures in magazines
Telling them how they should be
It doesn't make sense to me

Is everybody going crazy?
Is anybody gonna save me?
Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Tell me what's going on?
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something is wrong

I guess things are not how they used to be
There's no more normal families
Parents act like enemies
Making kids feel like it's World War III

No one cares, no one's there
I guess we're all just too damn busy
And money's our first priority
It doesn't make sense to me

Chorus

Is everybody going crazy?
Is everybody going crazy?

Tell me what's wrong with society
When everywhere I look I see
Rich guys driving big SUVs
While kids are starving in the streets
No one cares
No one likes to share
I guess life's unfair

Chorus



So, then where is the love? How do we pretend to find love if we are terrorists, we only care about money, we hate, we discriminate, we fight, we kill, we are in war? We never stop, we don’t think, we don’t meditate what we are really doing. Kids learn wrong values, don’t know how things really have to be, and they’re our future. So is that the future we want? Teachers are not enough to educate the society. Parents, values, and the external world teach too and if those are failing, then our future is failing. So where do we want to find the love? On earth, on this earth, in our planet? If we go on like this, I don’t think so…

Both songs mention activities, ways of acting in which we are failing, the society is going wrong. The first one centres on an external view of human beings like wars, terrorism, education; while the second one talks about internal aspects of people, such as physical appearances, indifference towards others, mentality. They both transmit the idea that the world is not ok, each one on its focus.

The last song is in Spanish, but it’s really good and relates to the theme.

Serú Girán
MUNDO AGRADABLE

Quiero despertar en un mundo agradable
quiero darme libertad
ya no quiero dar lo que no tiene sentido
sólo quiero aquí estar.

Todas las personas pueden mejorar
todos los caminos pueden ayudar
Si estás así, si lo deseás.
Este es mi sueño y el de muchos más
ésta es mi casa donde quiero estar

calmar mi sed, viajar en paz.

Necesito darme un espacio en el tiempo
ser muy claro al hablar
sin informaciones que castiguen mi centro
sólo quiero alcanzar.

Todas las ideas pueden mejorar
todos los proyectos pueden ayudar.
Si estás así, si lo deseás.
Este es mi sueño y el de muchos más
ésta es mi casa donde quiero estar
calmar mi sed, viajar en paz.

No hay comentarios.: