sábado, 28 de julio de 2007

"To live is to play, and I want to go on playing"

“Vivir es jugar, y yo quiero seguir jugando”
Fragment of the song “Paloma”
By Andrés Calamaro


I will translate it to make the text in English, but that’s the original one.


“To live is to play, and I want to go on playing”

“To live is to play”… and playing is so grat! The group of letters that get together to make the word “play” creates in my mind images of childhood, creativity, happiness, innocence, fun, smiles, entertainment, sharing and many positive activities. The game of a child is not the same as the one of an adult. If we can talk about the ‘game of an adult’, it is betting, gambling, addiction. A child does not loose anything playing; he just wins an infinity of skills that help him grow up, live a new life that little by little gets closer and when he less waits for it, he will be living it. The game teaches him to live, and “to live is to play”. Living presents not only these excellent and perfect qualities of a child, but also bad moments and hard and dark parts.

A child’s life is a child’s game. An adult’s life is not an adult’s game. An adult’s life is a child’s game with new rules: now very important turns can be lost, new paths need to be chosen and to decide must be a known skill. If we throw wrongly the dice we can lose enormous amounts of whatever we might have, and cheating can cost our life. But “to live is to play, and I want to go on playing”. The weight of the good moments of life is heavier than the negative ones, that is to say, we move forward more spaces/squares (casilleros) than the ones we move backwards.

A child wants to live, wants to play undoubtedly. It is easy for him as he doesn’t put on risk anything more than an “I won!” from his friend. Adults… some choose to play while others don’t. And “I want to go on playing”. I don’t consider myself an adult yet, but a young girl in its whole definition, I’m not. I would like to still be able to play as I did before. The solution for everything was a “piedra para todos mis compas”, or we could stop time with a simple “alto taco”. Now that I’m growing up and I see myself each time nearer of the new game, I want to face this little risks, learn from my falls and movements backwards, learn to throw the dice and know in what direction move the counter. I want to go on living. With hope, I wish that when I grow up and I’ll be playing the new game fully, I don’t loose the desire to go on playing, to go on living. It is worth trying to play, because after all, “to live is to play”. Behind every chance of loosing, one can win. And even loosing in the finale of the game (as it happens to absolutely all of us), we learn in all our way to it.

So I say again: “To live is to play, and I want to go on playing”

Pic: my brother, and my cousins… playing.
Original:
“Vivir es jugar”... y jugar es de lo más lindo. El grupo de letras que se juntan para formar la palabra “jugar” crea en mi mente los conceptos de creatividad, niñez, felicidad, inocencia, diversión, sonrisas, entretenimiento, compartir, y todo tipo de acciones positivas. El juego de un niño no es el mismo que el de un grande. Si se puede hablar del “juego del adulto”, éste es la apuesta, arriesgar, enviciarse. Un niño no pierde nada jugando, sólo gana infinidad de cualidades que lo ayudan a crecer, a vivir una nueva vida que de a poco se acerca y cuando menos la espere, la va a estar viviendo. El juego le enseña a vivir, y “vivir es jugar”. Vivir nos presenta no sólo todas estas características tan lindas y perfectas del juego de un niño, sino también momentos malos, y partes difíciles y oscuras.
La vida del niño es el juego del niño. La vida de un adulto no es el juego del adulto. La vida del adulto es el juego del niño con nuevas reglas: ahora se puede perder turnos muy importantes, hay que elegir nuevos caminos y saber decidir; si tiramos mal el dado podemos perder mucho, y hacer trampa nos puede costar la vida. Pero “vivir es jugar, y yo quiero seguir jugando”. El peso de lo bueno de la vida es mucho mayor que el de lo negativo, es decir, avanzamos más casilleros de los que retrocedemos.
Un niño quiere vivir, quiere jugar sin ninguna duda, ya que para él es muy fácil y no arriesga nada más que un “¡Jaja! ¡Te gané!” de su amigo. Los adultos, algunos elijen jugar, otros no. Sin embargo “Yo quiero seguir jugando”. No me considero una adulta todavía, pero niña en la totalidad de su definición, ya no soy. Me gustaría todavía poder jugar como lo hacía antes; todo se solucionaba con un “piedra para todos mis compas” o podíamos detener el tiempo simplemente con un “alto taco”. Ahora que estoy creciendo y cada vez me veo más cerca del nuevo juego, quiero correr estos pequeños riesgos, aprender de mis caídas y retrocesos, aprender a tirar el dado y saber en qué sentido mover la ficha. Yo quiero seguir viviendo. Esperanzadamente espero que cuando crezca y esté jugando el nuevo juego plenamente, no pierda esas ganas de seguir jugando, de seguir viviendo. Vale la pena intentar jugar, porque después de todo, “vivir es jugar”; detrás de toda chance de perder, puedo ganar, y aún perdiendo en el final del juego (como nos sucede a todos), uno aprende en todo su trayecto.
“Vivir es jugar, y yo quiero seguir jugando”.

No hay comentarios.: